Monday, March 5, 2007

Slacker

Haven't posted in over a week - feel like a slacker! Or maybe I just feel like no one's reading anyway, so why bother? :-) Maybe I'll have a following one day. For now, I'll just muse about my latest training efforts. It's going well except that when I swam last night and tonight I feel so out of shape! I can't believe swimming is so hard. Those that do it well make it look so easy, but I guess that's true of any sport. I see great snow boarders going down the mountain while riding on the lift and think, "Wow, that looks so easy!" I think I'm just way too impatient - I want to be great at everything NOW! I want to lose weight NOW! I want to swim fast NOW! I keep having to remind myself that things worth achieving take time and as Lance Armstrong said, "It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster!" So true - if it were easy, everyone would be doing it and we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic on our hands.

I have XM radio and I have to admit I'm starting to get addicted to the "Oprah & Friends" channel. I've never really watched Oprah since I rarely find myself in front of the TV, but I do like talk radio as long as people are not arguing. What's weird is that the times I listen, I've never actually heard any of Oprah's shows on this channel! I've listened to Dr. Oz, Bob Greene, Dr. Robin Smith, and Gayle King. I think Gayle sounds a lot like Oprah. The shows are really good except for one by Jean Chatzky - she just speaks too slow for me and talks to you like you're in Kindergarten, but does have some good financial advice.

Anyway, I really like the Bob Greene show because he's doing some weight loss challenge and interviewing people. He's really up-front in his speaking style and forces people to get honest with themselves and while he does provide great practical eating and workout advice, he really helps people work thru the emotional side of why they got overweight, which I think is missed in so many diet books out there today. There are literally thousands of diet plans, but to find what works for you for good, ah, that's the hard part!! And he talked tonight about how you really have to own learning about what overeating is for you and to make a commitment to getting it right. Many people go on a diet, start an exercise plan, lose some weight and then fall off the wagon and end up exactly where they were or worse - heavier. It's hard. I think that's why I just never try to diet! Seems like you're doomed to fail and you'll just end up putting more weight on, so just keep the status quo and be satisfied. OK, that's a cop-out, I know. Anyway, another thing I liked that I heard today was from Dr. Robin Smith about having too many priorities and feeling stressed out - right up my alley :-) Check it out here.

Happy training all, or whatever you enjoy doing :-)

1 comment:

Steve said...

Erica,

We're out here lurking so NO SLACKING!!! I was in the same situation when I started swimming earlier this year. I was very impatient. I did a lot of reading on technique and have made a lot of progress. More so than in biking and running. This gets me excited about going to the pool.

Good luck in your mini tri this weekend.

Steve