Monday, June 25, 2007

1 open water tri complete!


Did my first open water tri on Sunday - what a difference from swimming in a pool! Felt like 75% of the skills I've learned over the past 6 weeks went out the window! Most of the way to the first buoy, I was just trying not to get kicked or hit anyone else. Mostly did the front crawl. Every time I tried to stick my face in the water and stroke it just seemed like a struggle. I didn't feel like I was swimming tall, flat, or straight! Had a hard time catching my breath, so I flipped over on my back and that seemed to work well. Felt like it was a long way to swim, but there's really no turning back once you start, so you just have to push through it! Gotta love those forced commitments!

Transition times were better, but still can improve on the first one. Here are the results. I thought I'd do around 1:45 and did 1:47.47. Not bad! I finished 12 out of 22 in my age group and surprisingly, the 11 people ahead of me are all older! Guess there is hope for me yet! Sometimes age has the advantage of experience and additional training time :-)

My goal for the next one on July 15th is to improve on my run time -- it stinks! Now that the heel spur has calmed down, I need to put some miles in.